Blair’s POV: Trends, the Member Experience and An Optimistic Future
Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Rachel Zabonick-Chonko, the editor-in-chief of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
Top of mind thoughts:
- All of the obvious trends we saw before the pandemic have accelerated because of the pandemic, i.e. Peloton, Apple, online content, etc.
- How will this impact the fitness industry? How can we make it impact us in a good way? What part of the marketplace will it impact?
- The business we should be in is helping people create exercise habits.
- Brick and mortar gyms aren’t going anywhere. People want to get together.
- You should have a healthy amount of anxiety about your business model and how online fitness will impact you.
- Our image is a challenge. We have to rebrand our entire industry. We have to serve our communities better. We have to put out a better product. Reach outside of your four walls. Our rebranding has to be authentic.
Opportunities in 2021:
- Younger people are coming back to gyms in droves.
- People 60 to 75 years old aren’t coming back as much as other groups.
- This is a huge opportunity to figure out how to get them back in clubs.
- It has to be more than a new marketing message.
- This population could benefit the most from exercise due to the pandemic.
- You have to create the desire for people to exercise.
Clubs should be taking the member experience more serious now than ever before:
- Know your market.
- Have marketing intel.
- Consistently communicate with your members.
- You can control member experience.
An optimistic future:
- People want to get together.
- People have to actually move their bodies to exercise; it can’t be digitally outsourced.
- Exercise gives people independence.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.