Group X Payroll and Operations
Lately I have been getting a lot of inquiries regarding group fitness payroll and the standards that pertain to group fitness department operations. Here are some facts based on a study done over 82 clubs nationwide.
1. Your group fitness payroll should fall in between 11-14 percent of your total payroll. (If you have multiple rooms; i.e. mind body, cycle, water, etc. you may push up to 15% percent.)
2. The average group fitness class payout across the country is $23.00 per class.
3. 53 percent of all group fitness instructors have never been evaluated or given a pay increase (yikes!).
4. The optimal average cost per head should be in between $1.00-1.50. If you are paying an instructor over $2.50 per head, an evaluation of the class should occur and may need to be canceled in order to keep within reasonable payroll budget.
5. Average group fitness director salary per club is $1000.00 per month. This is a low payout for what your group fitness director probably does for you.
6. Group fitness departments that manage and evaluate their monthly usage will do a better job at managing their programs than those departments that do not measure. Without measurement nothing can be evaluated.
7. 30 percent of all group fitness directors do not have a job description or they have written their own job description.
8. 45 percent of all club managers have never taken a group fitness class.
9. Most group fitness directors are not involved in management meetings, event planning for the club or feel like they’re a part of the “team.”
10. 40 percent of all group fitness directors do not have a designated workspace within the club.
How do you rate your club? Let me know if you need help.
Lori Lowell is the President of Group Fitness Solutions, LLC, and owns 8 Fitness Facilities in Virginia and Wisconsin. Contact her at email@example.com.