1. What industry trend are you keeping an eye on this year? The growth of neighborhood studios offers the fitness consumer a variety of specific fitness options offered in several locations. The consumer is paying more for these fitness modalities in different locations compared to what they would pay for an exceptional membership experience at Pura Vida or Greenwood Athletic & Tennis club. Both clubs offer excellent yoga, Pilates, small group training, personal training and TRX, as well as remarkable amenities at a lower price than what many people pay to go to their neighborhood yoga studio three to four times a week.
2. What’s a fad or trend you’re glad to have seen die down (or out)? Both of my clubs steer away from fads or flimsy trends. We maintain a keen focus on sustainable modalities that we vet and organically build for long-term sustainability.
3. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome in life? Opening a luxury brand like Pura Vida in April 2008 was a test on many levels like I have never experienced before. I am so blessed that my biggest challenge has been in business and not in health or family matters. Pura Vida has since navigated through the economic tsunami and continues on a trajectory of success.
4. How did you overcome it? Belief in my remarkable team and their commitment, the strength of the Pura Vida brand, amazing partners, my wife’s belief in me and unrelenting desire to prevail in the face of adversity.
5. What accomplishment are you most proud of? Happily married for 20-plus years, having wonderful 13 year old boy/girl twins, having amazing leadership teams at both clubs and creating two clubs that continue to enhance the lives of thousands every single day.
6. How do you keep a work-life balance? Setting priorities, having unwavering faith in my leadership teams and having a strong awareness of what works and what doesn’t.
7. When did you start to see yourself as successful? When I discovered that success in life is best measured by the intangible rather than the tangible.
8. What do you enjoy most outside of work? I enjoy it all. Life is not a dress rehearsal, so everyday is a chance to do something exceptional where you can be kind, thoughtful and generous to all.
9. How do Pura Vida and Greenwood stay on the cutting edge? We have exceptional leaders that keep their fingers on the pulse of fitness and mind-body modalities through constant engagement with industry experts, trade publications, seminars and IHRSA. Denver is a vibrant fitness market, so there is a great deal of local buzz that can be observed, too.
10. What book are you currently reading? A good friend and member at Pura Vida just got her first novel published, so I bought the Kindle edition to support her. It is not my usual style of book, but I wanted to try something new and I enjoyed the read.