For Victoria Tolbert-Ashley, community health is at the forefront of her mind.
As the national director of group fitness at XSport, Tolbert-Ashley has been working with the African American Male Wellness Agency, the National Center for Urban Solutions and the American Diabetes Association.
In this episode of the Club Solutions Magazine Podcast, editor-in-chief Rachel Zabonick-Chonko chats with Tolbert-Ashley about community health. They go on to discuss everything from food deserts to how health clubs can be more attune to health changes in local communities.
Show Notes From the Conversation on Community Health
- Where this conversation stemmed from initially — hint: it has to do with a retreat.
- What gets Tolbert-Ashley excited about the fitness industry.
- She is living in the highlight of her career in the industry right now, and here’s why.
- A look at the American Diabetes Association and the Healthy Equity Now Project.
- Did you know 60% of Black Americans are more likely to get diagnosed with diabetes?
- The idea is to meet people where they are and get a supportive community around them.
- The No. 1 killer is heart disease, but the health club industry can help prevent this.
- Health clubs need to become this in their communities.
- What is a food desert and what can health clubs do about it?
- Why a built-in education calendar could be helpful in a gym.
- What you are connecting your community to needs to be done with intention.
- How it all boils down to community health.
- Tolbert-Ashley loves horses, and she shares why.
Be sure to subscribe to the Club Solutions Magazine podcast on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud and Spotify.