Acknowledge Your Instructors
Let’s face it – group fitness instructors just love to be recognized by upper management. When was the last time you took the time to acknowledge an instructor and show your appreciation? Just thanking them for all their hard work and acknowledging that they are there for your members goes a long way. Here are some helpful tips (that are inexpensive or cost nothing) that you can do for your instructors that will make a huge difference.
- Put a protein bar on top of the stereo before they come in for class with a note thanking them for being there and making a difference.
- Have the manager or owner come in before class making an announcement about how much they value the instructor and thanking the instructor in front of the entire class for their commitment to the club and the members.
- Give them a 20 percent off certificate to the pro shop or juice bar, or give them a free post class smoothie.
- Buy microphone windscreens for all the instructors ($4.95 a piece). Then get a very large coffee cup with a wide rim and buy No. 2 pencils, blue tape, and a bag of dry white rice. Fill the coffee up half way with the rice. Then take the pencils and wrap a piece of blue tap around it and have the tape extend out a little. Write the instructor name on the tape around the pencil. Do this for all instructors. Then put the windscreen on top of the pencil and place in the coffee cup. Put it on top of the stereo and each instructor will have their own windscreen that they can keep in the classroom for their use. Your instructors will really appreciate the effort.
- Have an instructor of the month and highlight them on your Group X board in the club or on Facebook, etc.
- Invite them out for a post class snack or coffee and just get to know them better.
- Pick an instructor to present something valuable about teaching at the next meeting and highlight their skills.
- Get to know your instructors!
All of these little things will go a long way and will differentiate you from the competition. Remember, in order for you to deliver an amazing member experience, it starts with employee experience. Make your instructors fall in love with the club, the experience, the environment and most of all you!
Lori Lowell is the President of Group Fitness Solutions, LLC, and owns 8 Fitness Facilities in Virginia and Wisconsin. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.