10 Questions with Dave Mortensen
Dave Mortensen, the president and co-founder of Anytime Fitness, answers a few of our questions.
1. What was your first job in the health and fitness industry?
I worked the front desk at the very first club that Chuck Runyon (co-founder of Anytime Fitness) and I ever purchased.
2. What’s the favorite part of your job?
Helping people overcome barriers in their personal or professional lives.
3. What have the highlights been during your time at Anytime Fitness?
Carpe Diem – Truly, the journey has been the highlight.
4. What have the challenges been during your time at Anytime Fitness?
The biggest challenge is staying ahead of our amazingly rapid growth. We have an obligation to our members, to our franchisees, to our corporate staff and to the fitness industry to keep evolving. This same challenge is also our reward.
5. Anytime Fitness is known for its great culture. Why is employee wellness important to you?
People drive life and business — and our culture is the one thing we control. Culture, plus people, equals prosperity. That’s true both personally and professionally.
6. What do you like to do in your spare time, when not working?
Spend time with my family, outdoor activities, traveling and enjoying spontaneous experiences.
7. What’s the first thing you do every morning?
Take the dogs out, prepare the family for the day and grab a cup of java.
8. What is one of your favorite books?
“The Greatest Salesman in the World” by Og Mandigo.
9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
A Pizza Hut supervisor once said to me, “You are going to reach heights you never imagined — believe in yourself.”
10. If you weren’t working as co-founder of Anytime Fitness, what do you think you’d be doing? Did you have any other career aspirations when you were younger?
Well, my Dad was a truck driver. I admired him and told him someday I wanted to be a truck driver, just like him. But he made that decision for me with four simple words: “The F*&K you are!”