Now that summer has ended and the weather has started to cool, many exercisers will be moving their workouts indoors. FITLIFE™ from Venture Insurance Programs is offering best practices to keep facilities running efficiently and club members safe.
As temperatures fall and we lose daylight earlier, many who have been exercising outdoors will begin to return to indoor facilities that offer an inviting atmosphere and high quality workout space.
However, with this increased foot traffic comes increased risk exposures for the fitness facility in the form of member or employee injury, and property or equipment damage, among other things. To mitigate that risk, FITLIFE offers the following tips:
- Ensure all equipment meets manufacturer recommended standards or equivalent safety standards.
- Prohibit guests from bringing in personal equipment that may create a danger for others, like personal free weights.
- Create adequate clearance between machines.
- Permit only members or authorized guests to be in a fitness area.
- Frequently check electrical cords to prevent tripping hazards.
- Use mats in shower and locker room areas to keep the floors dry.
- Repair any torn carpet or replace any cracked tile to avoid a tripping hazard.
- Inspect and maintain fitness equipment for optimal performance.
- Certify staff to provide basic first aid and CPR.
- Designate and clearly mark an emergency phone.
To reduce risks of incidents related to increased traffic outside the facility, FITLIFE recommends facility operators consider the following:
- Promptly fill any pothole in the asphalt per your lease agreement to avoid damage to vehicles, and patch any cracks in the sidewalks to avoid potential tripping hazards.
- Clearly mark wet areas to avoid slipping, and dry wet areas when possible.
- Ensure that parking lots are well lit.
- Remove any foreign objects from the parking lot, like broken bottles and other debris.
FITLIFE provides a variety of insurance products and services for health clubs, tennis/racquet clubs, gyms and more, and is available through agents and brokers in all states except Louisiana, Montana and Virginia.
Venture Insurance Programs is a leading program administrator that designs, underwrites and distributes industry-specific insurance packages. Based in West Chester, Pa., Venture has underwriting alliances with the world’s leading carrier groups, including Allianz, Chubb, Allied World, Hamilton, RSUI, USLI, Zurich North America, State National, Monitor and Lloyd’s of London. Founded in 1993, Venture serves select industries—including golf and country clubs, golf destination resorts, hotels, resorts, commercial marine, fitness, wellness and spas, hunting and fishing lodges, and city and social clubs. Visit http://www.ventureprograms.com/.