Episode 32: The Journey of Maria Gonzalez
From the country of Colombia to her current home in Greensboro, North Carolina, Maria Gonzalez has traveled far, literally and metaphorically.
In addition to moving countries, Gonzalez has also moved up the ladder — beginning her career at ClubFitness as a lifeguard. She is now CEO.
In this episode of the Club Solutions Magazine podcast, host Rachel Zabonick-Chonko chats with Gonzalez about her fascinating journey. They touch on her transition to Greensboro and ClubFitness, taking on new and challenging roles, lessons learned as a leader during COVID-19, and more.
Show Notes on the Conversation with Maria Gonzalez
- Born and raised in Colombia, South America, Maria Gonzalez was a competitive swimmer.
- Moving to Miami, Gonzalez shares why it was a relatively easy transition to the U.S.
- The intentionality behind moving to Greensboro, North Carolina. Hint: it has to do with language.
- How Gonzalez got involved in the U.S. swimming industry.
- A great friend translates for you during job interviews, as Gonzalez found out.
- The journey she took to overcome the language barrier and succeed in her career.
- Why the aquatics director leaving from ClubFitness hit Gonzalez’ confidence hard.
- Some of the biggest difficulties in having a co-director.
- Why paying attention to the details has opened more opportunities for Gonzalez.
- Insight into what it’s like going from a lifeguard to a CEO.
- Organizations and causes Gonzalez is passionate about.
- Connecting to the local community can connect you with past, present and future members.
- Lessons learned over the past 18 months during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Using leadership to impact those around you.
- What a 67-year-old who couldn’t swim taught Gonzalez. Hint: It involved pushing too hard.
- How trying to overcome her fear of heights has helped Gonzalez in life and her role at ClubFitness.
Be sure to subscribe to the Club Solutions Magazine podcast on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud and Spotify.