Blair’s POV: Culture Matters
Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Rachel Zabonick-Chonko, the editor-in-chief of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
Recap of the Club Solutions Leadership Summit
The 2022 Club Solutions Leadership Summit (CS Summit) was an exclusive, invite-only, peer collaboration event. Its mission is to bring together high-level health club industry executives from all over the country for two and a half days of networking, peer-to-peer learning experiences and roundtable discussions while enjoying excursions in sunny Palm Beach! Blair McHaney has been the moderator of the event since its inception in 2014.
• The whole idea of the roundtable topics was to come up with a topical and real story. Blair conflated a few different, real stories into one scenario to work on over the two days. The story was the group you were working with just purchased seven clubs that were closed for six months during the pandemic, and they didn’t have a great customer experience going into the pandemic. The Google reviews are 1.8 stars across the brand.
• The idea was to use real member feedback to have attendees work through each case study and discuss what they would do if this was a real situation for their company.
• People related to the stories and understood the real problems.
• The first roundtable was all about equipment condition and repair time issues. The second one was more focused on getting immediate buy-in from teams around putting the customer first through awards, rewards, recognition and incentives. The third roundtable was about what work general managers need to do before meetings. The last discussion was focused on getting momentum, how to use this and optimize your marketing, social media, etc.
• A key stand out was how frequently culture was brought up.
• Interested in attending the 2022 Club Solutions Leadership Retreat this fall? The event is September 7-9 in Rancho Mirage, CA at the Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage Resort. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
Top of Mind
- Project 435 is now called Team 435.
- If you are in Washington and want to get involved with Team 435, contact Blair at email@example.com.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.