Many gyms across the globe are united in one goal: Helping members adopt healthier habits and lifestyles. However, achieving this goal isn’t always easy. Behavior modification can be difficult and elusive for many members, especially those new to exercise.
Sheldon McBee, the executive director of Universal Athletic Club, recently discussed this very topic with Club Solutions Magazine Podcast host Rachel Zabonick-Chonko. They discuss the science behind behavior modification, the impact the book Atomic Habits by James Clear has had on Universal’s onboarding process, member retention tips and much more.
They also discuss McBee’s biggest fear and discover the TV show he’s obsessed with.
Show Notes on Atomic Habits
- How an undying love of sports led McBee into the industry.
- At 5:32 hear how Universal Health Club is helping members make habit changes.
- Find out who introduced McBee to the book Atomic Habits by James Clear at 7:13.
- How Atomic Habits has impacted Universal Health Club’s culture.
- Learn more about tapping into the other 80% at 9:34.
- McBee discusses falling in love with the process versus the goal at 11:12.
- What is most critical to the Universal Health Club onboarding process at 12:24.
- The mistake that too many clubs make at 13:32.
- Establishing lifetime value, investing in human capital and marketing competently.
- McBee shares the four biggest tips from Atomic Habits at 22:49.
- Additional book recommendations: No Sweat by Michelle Segar, Ph.D and Never Lose a Customer Again by Joey Coleman.
- Find out McBee’s self diagnosed phobia at 30:46 and the series he’s a huge fan of at 31:51.
Leave a Reply