Episode 48: Leading in the Current Times with Greg Maurer￼
Leadership is always challenging. But these last two years have been especially difficult for those leading people and organizations.
Greg Maurer, the vice president of fitness and education at Workout Anytime, knows this well as an experienced industry veteran and former Marine. He recently sat down with Club Solutions Magazine Podcast host Rachel Zabonick-Chonko to discuss tenants in leadership, lessons from Greg’s time in the Marine Corps, the power of in-person events and much more.
It’s a great talk for those interested in learning about leadership in the current times.
Listen to the full conversation below.
- Maurer shares his takeaways from the Workout Anytime conference.
- At 2:12 hear about Maurer’s impressive 40-year career in the industry.
- The growth of Workout Anytime.
- What is the foundation of leadership? Find out the answer at 4:36.
- The three C’s of leadership.
- How to hold yourself accountable and not point fingers at 6:39.
- Inspect what you expect at 7:43
- At 9:54 Maurer shares his tips for better meetings.
- Maurer references a favorite quote by John Maxwell and talks about one of his favorites leaders, Blair McHaney at 11:51.
- At 13:31 assessing culture and leadership during the great resignation.
- Quality staff leads to quality members.
- How Maurer’s time in the Marine Corps influenced his future leadership roles at 16:27.
- At 20:00 Maurer talks Chris Grove and his culture of constant practice.
- Maurer mentions another favorite leader, Mark Mastrov, at 21:11.
- The need for consistency within messaging systems and processes.
- At 26:09 Maurer talks in-person events, such as the Club Solutions Leadership events.
- Maurer’s book recommendations include The One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard and Drive by Daniel H. Pink.
Subscribe to the Club Solutions Magazine podcast on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud and Spotify.