Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Taylor Brown, the assistant editor of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
Favorite Parts of 2022
- McHaney said mid-March was his favorite part of the year due to COVID-19 restrictions lifted off clubs.
- The industry had a very positive comeback from the pandemic despite many formerly believing the majority of clubs would not survive.
- Exercise received more recognition than possibly ever before.
Biggest Challenges of 2022
- The first quarter of the year through restrictions made gyms feel less comfortable due to more rules and a lack of patrons.
- The second biggest challenge was raising revenue back up to where it was before COVID-19.
Lessons Learned and Reinforced Throughout the Year
- When you are certain several datapoints area leading to a trend, act fast. Don’t wait for the next datapoint.
- Advocacy proved its worth. The Washington Fitness Alliance enabled state-wide grants to be enacted.
- In a world where many people are having a hard time, employees were a continuous source of loyalty and kindness. That reinforced how we should continue to treat others well.
Looking Forward to 2023
- McHaney is looking forward to being more involved into building out the MXM institute and the consulting side of the business. Engagements so far through consulting are having a huge impact.
- Rest and recovery. If people in our industry aren’t taking a serious look into recovery, then they will be missing out on a massive opportunity to build revenue and help others.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.