Being a leader is no easy task, which is why only a very specific kind of individual can succeed as the head of a team, group or company. Difficult times, such as the beginning of months of the COVID-19 pandemic, often showcase the very best attributes of leaders.
Justin Drummond, the chief operating officer of Ohana Growth Partners, franchise division of Planet Fitness, sat down with Club Solutions Magazine Podcast host Rachel Zabonick-Chonko to discuss the most important aspects of being a leader in the industry’s current environment.
Drummond offers his valuable perspective on the importance of core values, how to cultivate a positive culture, leadership styles and more.
Listen to the full conversation below.
- At 0:54 hear how Drummond first got his start in the fitness industry after playing Division I basketball.
- Drummond details what lessons he learned from sports that helped developed his leadership style today at 2:15.
- At 3:03 learn what some of the biggest growth moments were for Ohana Growth Partners over the last 15 years.
- Drummond provides what he believes has been key to the recent success of Planet Fitness at 4:13.
- At 5:20 hear how Drummond describes his personal leadership style.
- Learn how being flexible and coachable is essential to leading in today’s culture at 7:20.
- At 8:35 hear about Ohana Growth Partners’ core values and the impact they have on the company.
- Drummond details how to cultivate a positive team culture even through challenging times at 11:10.
- At 12:28 learn how to keep a team motivated when they are experiencing a conflict or obstacle.
- Hear Drummond’s first piece of advice he would give someone just beginning their career in the industry at 14:13.
- At 16:25 find out why the importance of being authentic to oneself is essential to being an effective leader.
- Learn how Drummond continues to develop as a leader at 16:58.
- At 18:52 hear why “The Coaching Habit” by Michael Stainer is a book that can help cultivate relationships with coworkers.
- Drummond details what makes him most proud as a leader at 22:06.
Subscribe to the Club Solutions Magazine podcast on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud and Spotify.