Ten questions with Melissa Griffin, regional director at O2 Fitness.
1. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome in life?
Supporting my husband through the loss of nine firefighters — nine of his friends — in a warehouse fire in 2007 where he was the engineer of the first-due engine that day.
2. How did you overcome it?
Years of strength (or what I thought was strength at the time), focus, dedication and prayer.
3. What’s been a major key to your success?
Ownership, follow through, diligence and vision.
4. What accomplishment in life are you most proud of?
Continually working to find my way to be the best wife and daughter that I can be personally for my husband and my family, while striving to learn and grow to be the best leader that I can be professionally for our company.
5. What do you love most about coming to work every day?
Having the opportunity to make a difference within our growing company and among our team members, all while working to provide an experience to positively affect our members’ lives and the Charleston community.
6. What is one key to O2 Fitness’ success?
The experience of the culture and environment that we work to create for our team members, as well as the ultimate fitness experience for our members.
7. What was your first job in the industry?
Being a part of opening and managing ECOFitness and Blue Turtle Yoga (two locations in Charleston, South Carolina) where I remained for eight years, before my current incredible opportunity with O2 Fitness.
8. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
Honestly, just a free moment with my husband and our Great Dane is priceless.
9 What book are you currently reading?
“Extreme Ownership” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin.
10. If you could pick a city to live in outside your current one, where would you live and why?
Just about any city with a steady climate year-round (my husband would say southern California).