UFC GYM Participates in #22KILL Campaign
In 2013, Honor Courage Commitment, Inc. started the #22KILL movement after learning an average of 22 veterans die by suicide every day. It is a social media campaign with the goal of raising awareness about suicide and educating the public on mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress.
This year, UFC GYM has joined the cause. The UFC GYM community will complete 222,222 push-ups on the day of April 22, 2016.
“Everyone gets busy in their lives, but each day we should all be reminded how truly fortunate we are to live in this country,” said Adam Sedlack, the president of UFC GYM. “There are so many men and women who unselfishly have fought for our freedom and the fact that 22 veterans take their own lives on a daily basis tells me that people are not aware of what happens to so many soldiers after their service. UFC GYM is honored to help drive this conversation.”
Currently, #22KILL is striving to reach 22 millions push-ups worldwide. The push-ups are tracked via social media, and can be traditional, assisted (on your knees) or incline (on a desk/wall) push-ups. They will even accept air push-ups for those unable to complete others. And it’s easy for your gym, or your members, to get involved on their own.
To participate as a club or individual, follow these directions (courtesy of #22KILL.)
1. Record a video of yourself doing the pushups
In the beginning of the video, make an introduction stating:
- Your NAME (and name of any organization that you may want to represent)
- WHY are you pushing or WHO are you are pushing for?
2. Upload the video
Upload the video directly on #22KILL’s Facebook page, YouTube, Twitter, or Instagram.
3. Add the hashtags “#” in your post
#(insert a number here)pushups #22KILL
*Make sure you set your post to a “public” setting.
4. Post it!
Things you can do:
- Do the pushups by yourself
- Get a group together to do the pushups; Companies, sports teams, schools, etc.
- Be creative; Use unique settings, styles, props, etc. Include whatever or whomever you want.
- Post as many videos as frequently as you’d like, as long as they are not duplicates and you follow the same rules/guidelines for each video.