Unless you’re currently living under a rock, it’s likely you’ve heard the phrase “content marketing” or maybe even “content is king.”
Just in case your home is in fact a boulder — here’s a definition from the Content Marketing Institute: “Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Examples of content marketing include “how-to” articles, demonstrative videos, webinars and more. The main tenet of this content is to educate an audience, versus solely promoting a business. As a health club operator, content marketing could look like a blog from one of your personal trainers on the best functional workouts, or a video from your nutritionist on grocery-shopping tips. Really, the opportunities are endless.
As a health club, why should content marketing be on your radar? Because it will help you not just serve your current customers, but also get new ones. Content marketing expands your reach and positions you as the go-to expert in your community for health, fitness and wellness.
But, creating good content, and not just any content, is key. So, here are some tips for creating quality content that truly will reign as king in the marketing world:
- Create a content marketing calendar. In addition, make and keep deadlines. These two strategies will ensure your content is maximized, and that you’re not wasting your time. Participating in content marketing once every blue moon will get you nowhere. Consistency is vital.
- Write in your wheelhouse. If you’re unfamiliar with the best personal training workouts, don’t write about personal training workouts. Write about things you actually have knowledge of. And, turn to your employees to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. If you don’t know much about something, it’s likely someone on your staff will.
- Push your content. Don’t just post a blog and then hope someone stumbles across it. Maximize your reach by posting your content on social media and via e-blasts.
- Track results. Pay attention to your contents’ analytics. Did one blog get hundreds of views more than another? If so, evaluate why, and try and replicate that magic.
- Have fun. Content marketing doesn’t have to be serious. Write or shoot video in a voice that’s natural to you. You know your audience and they know you, so don’t be afraid to show a little personality in your content.
Now, you’re ready to start creating content. Need some ideas? Here are a few below to help you begin.
- Don’t be intimidated! Tips for mastering free weights
- Why yoga may be your missing link
- Get motivated with Group X
- The accountability benefits of personal training
- Your grocery shopping guide — what aisles to stick to, and which to avoid
- Which diet is best? Navigating trends, fads and tried-and-true plans
- Eating for muscle gain
- Navigating restaurant menus