The Bottom Line: Tom Deimler
Every month, Club Solutions sits down with an industry expert to share in their wealth of knowledge. In the January issue, the conversation features Tom Deimler, the senior vice president of California Family Fitness.
1. How did you get your start in the health and fitness industry?
After completing graduate school, I had a difficult time finding a job. One morning I saw a “help wanted” ad in the newspaper for an assistant manager at a local fitness center. I got what I thought was going to be a job, but it turned out to be a career.
2. What do you love most about your role at California Family Fitness?
I love the competition. Every month we start keeping score all over again. I love the challenge of hitting goals.
3. If you could share one piece of membership sales advice, what would it be?
Listen to the customer. Find out not only what the customer’s fitness goal is, but why it is important to them.
4. What’s your favorite leadership book and why?
“Turn The Ship Around” by David Marquet. It espouses a philosophy of how great leaders develop leaders, not followers.
5. What is the best piece of leadership advice you’ve ever been given?
Set the example. We have all heard this before, but doing it is important. Setting the example lays the groundwork for earning respect.
6. If you weren’t in the position you’re in now, what job do you think you’d be doing?
I wanted to be a national park ranger. I got my master’s degree in parks and recreation management and ended up running health clubs. Everything worked out for the best.
7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome?
After 15 years of club ownership, I went back to work for “other people.”
8. And how did you overcome that challenge?
There are definite advantages to being part of a big team. Being an owner can be kind of lonely.
9. If you could give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be?
10. What’s a fitness trend you’re keeping an eye on right now?
The evolution of partnerships between healthcare providers and the health club industry.