January 2022 Club of the Month, presented by ABC Fitness Solutions:
Gold’s Gym Metro DC, est. 2020
For any business today, it’s vital to have a competitive edge. For Gold’s Gym DC Metro, its competitive edge at 20 locations is derived from servant leadership, an iconic brand and diverse offerings that meet people where they are on their fitness journey.
Here, CEO Matt Clifford, CXO Brenda Jorgensen and COO Josh Fuglsby, co-owners of Gold’s Gym DC Metro, share about their unique franchise group, keys to success and advice for other operators.
Tell me about Gold’s Gym DC Metro and what makes it stand out from others:
MC: First and foremost, we strive to create a servant-hearted environment where everyone is treated like family. We are also very focused on upgrading our product in the market either through new locations or renovations to existing locations. You will see this in 2022 with five existing club remodels happening during the first half of the year and three to four potential new locations opening by the end of the year.
Why do members choose your facility? How do you meet members’ needs?
MC: We are locally owned and operated so the experience of our members and team members comes first.
We are able to offer multiple locations in the market, so regardless of where someone works and/or lives we very likely have a gym near them in the DC Metro area. We are committed to adding locations to increase that convenience, as well as making sure we are consistently reinvesting in our product in the market to meet members where they are. We proudly serve the DC, Virginia and Maryland area and offer a product and programs that remain unmatched in the region.
How are you taking the iconic brand of Gold’s Gym into a new era?
BJ: We feel it is important for every member or potential member to understand that “serious fitness” pertains to all people and all levels of fitness. Because the word “serious” is a relevant term. This means whether you are male, female, young or old — we will be able to serve your needs and find out the best program for you to reach your full potential. No one has the history of our brand, so we will first be taking our legacy into the new area. We feel this robust, proud history in fitness paired with a progressive mindset will allow us to bring more personalized offerings to our members and potential members.
What do you plan on offering in 2022 at Gold’s Gym DC Metro when it comes to programming and services?
BJ: We continue to be the leaders in fitness by providing world class personal training, group exercise classes, Gold’s Studio, and our on-demand platform. We are also currently working on a recovery-based model of fitness to better serve our members on the days they need recuperation. Lastly, we offer a true corporate wellness platform to provide businesses an affordable option to get all employees engaged in fitness.
What is Gold’s Gym DC Metro’s approach to providing a holistic fitness experience for members? What does this look like?
- Experience: Whether you prefer your fitness experience to be in group setting, individualized coaching, or just by yourself, our members can choose their own personalized experience.
- Fitness: This means ensuring our members have various ways to consume fitness, whether it’s virtual or in-person. There is no “one size fits all” for fitness, so ensuring we are diverse in our offerings is important to not only personalize the member experience but also meet members where they are.
- Atmosphere and Innovation: This includes proper new member onboarding, offering a diverse product in both individual and group settings, hybridization of our fitness model, and recovery programming.
What’s a trend you’re seeing in the fitness industry that other operators should keep on their radar?
- Continuation of the hybrid offerings by combining a versatile gym experience with a virtual on-demand experience to meet members where they are.
- Total wellness platforms including not just physical health, but also mental health being another key focus.
If you could give one piece of advice to other gym operators, what would it be?
JF: We would advise to test revenue driving areas of the business to determine your price threshold. It is not possible to know where this currently is in the market without testing.
Be nimble and don’t be stuck in previous mindsets or current circumstances, continue to adapt to what the environment presents. You may find progress during times of adversity.
Created in partnership with ABC Fitness Solutions. Visit abcfitness.com for more information on how they can help your fitness business.