Blair’s POV: Moving Forward
Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Rachel Zabonick-Chonko, the editor-in-chief of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
HR 890: The GYMS Act Update
- The industry has a goal of getting 200 co-sponsors for the bill. The bill is currently sitting at 95 co-sponsors made up of 75 democrats and 16 republicans.
- 22 states don’t have a single sponsor.
- Learn more about the GYMS Act on IHRSA’s site, which is updated weekly.
Top of Mind Thoughts:
- Shutting down during hours and mass cleaning is going away.
- Masks are on their way out in some areas on the country.
- Vaccine rates are going up.
- Member diligence is going down — this is a trend to watch.
- Blair’s front desk staff are “joining online” to see what the process is like and then seeing where they can improve and educate members.
- People are excited to get back to gyms.
- At home and virtual fitness are absolutely here to stay.
- As gyms reopen, virtual fitness may decrease as some gyms only made this switch to keep providing to members.
- Pre-COVID very few people were willing to discuss their usage rates.
- Keep track of this data long after COVID.
- Know who is in your facility.
- Gyms are in varying stages of being open across the country.
- What variables are governors going to look at in order to determine masks are no longer required?
- You don’t have any control over this as an operator.
- However, you do have control over your club and your messaging.
- Measure your air quality and provide new data to your community.
- Many consumers are unaware of gym air quality standards.
- Grocery stores don’t have these standards.
- Get out and engage with people outside of your club.
- Get out and attend IHRSA, the Club Solutions Leadership Summit and the Club Solutions Leadership Retreat.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.