Blair’s POV: Returning to Normal and Preparing for Growth
Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Rachel Zabonick-Chonko, the editor-in-chief of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
CDC Mask Mandate Update
- Removing masks will be nothing but positive for the industry.
- This will be a major inflection point.
- This will allow brands to be themselves again.
- If it’s messy for you right now, hang in there.
- “We’re back!”
What to Keep in Mind as We Return to Normal
- Where were we a year ago? Journalist were saying the fitness industry was going to end. However, now things are accelerating again. Where will we be in another year?
- Think of what is possible and then make sure you have things in place to make it happen.
- Embrace technology.
- Listen to what your customers want.
- If you thought smiling and remembering members names matter before the pandemic, it matters even more and has more value now.
- The old rules are more important than ever.
HR 890: The GYMS Act Update
- The industry has a goal of getting 200 co-sponsors for the bill. The bill is currently sitting at 120 co-sponsors.
- Now have S 1613 – GYMS Act Senate Bill as well.
- Language in identical to the House bill and currently has two sponsors.
- Faster the industry can gain traction and get public support, the better chance we have to getting the bills passed.
- We need to keep our foot on the gas.
- Learn more about the GYMS Act on IHRSA’s site, which is updated weekly.
Top of Mind Thoughts:
- The back half of 2021 will be great for the industry.
- Long term looks very positive for the industry.
- Aging population focusing more on health, people researching health and fitness more, etc.
- I think the economy is going to pull on our industry.
- How can we position ourselves to be ready for this?
- Some gyms are seeing mass member sales.
- Get out and engage with people outside of your club.
- Get out and attend IHRSA, the Club Solutions Leadership Summit and the Club Solutions Leadership Retreat.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.