Lifelong Learning: Making Everyone Around You Better
Landon Burningham, the founder and CEO of Physiq Fitness, shares the importance of lifelong learning.
In order to grow both personally and in business, one must never stop learning. As a leader it is our responsibility to ensure our teams never stop learning either. Brian Tracy said, “If you’re not constantly learning, you’re actually falling behind.”
As leaders we must understand learning doesn’t always come from a formal education and it doesn’t stop after a new hire completes their onboarding. I believe education and learning are lifelong missions and something we must constantly prioritize.
In my company it is something my business partner Brandon Bennett and I live by. In fact, we believe in this so much we have dedicated his role to the continuing education of our team.
Continuing education comes in a variety of forms and should be available to each employee regardless of their position. It should also be done on a regular basis to ensure it becomes ingrained in the company culture. Why is this important? Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Here are some key ideas we have developed:
- Have a recommended reading list and incentivize the team for reading.
- Stress the importance of continued education and have this as a topic in all leadership meetings.
- Offer to pay for audiobook memberships in exchange for listening to one book a month from a recommended list.
Team Meetings and Trainer Coaching: For all training department employees, held monthly.
- How to maximize your efficiency.
- Asking for and collecting referrals.
- How to maximize HR training.
Weekly Continuing Education/Training: All employees welcome, held weekly.
- How to navigate gym software.
- Welcome desk procedure overview.
These are just a few ideas. No matter what route you take, ensure education and lifelong learning are a key part of your business.