Cail Morrison, the VP of franchise support for Anytime Fitness.
Every month, Club Solutions sits down with an industry expert to share in their wealth of knowledge. In the April issue, the conversation features Cail Morrison, the VP of franchise support for Anytime Fitness.
1. What drew you to Anytime Fitness?
Fitness and sports have always been my passion. After a short stint outside of the fitness industry, I was looking for a way to get back in and help people reach their goals. Anytime Fitness provided me with this opportunity to help franchisees realize their fitness passion, while helping people on a mass scale get to a healthier place. Ultimately, the people at Anytime Fitness and the culture were the biggest factors.
2. What’s the favorite aspect of your job leading a big team that supports 2,500 North American Anytime Fitness owners?
Member success and franchisee success. Our member success stories sum up why we do what we do. I also love to see franchisees living the life they are passionate about, and also running a successful business.
3. What’s the most challenging aspect of your job, and how do you strive to overcome it?
Franchising in general is challenging. Containing a bunch of entrepreneurial minds and asking them to apply the same concepts across our system is always a wild ride, but I love the challenges that come with that. Overcoming takes listening, patience and the ability to understand “the why.”
4. What’s the best piece of leadership advice you’ve ever been given?
Always bring two things: Your best attitude and your best effort. I love this advice because it applies to everything we do in life.
5. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
My team. Our franchise consulting team comprises a lot of different backgrounds and skillsets. We’ve picked a variety of types of coaches based on this principle: “If two people are the same, one of them isn’t necessary.” Unique individuals make our team stronger via their different backgrounds, different perspectives and different problem-solving approaches.
6. What’s one learning lesson you can share that other health club professionals can learn from?
Change is necessary. Seek it out. Your way isn’t always the best way. Collaborate and adapt.
7. If you weren’t in your current role, what occupation would you have?
I’ve always been into the outdoors, sports and fitness. I can’t see myself doing much else, unless it was testing, reviewing or giving guidance on products to use in the outdoors or in sports. I’ve always been a gear junkie.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I have three kids, so they keep me busy. My wife and I are very active. I mostly bicycle, ski, hike and play sports. My wife has run several marathons, but she’s been very quick to pick up my favorite activities as well. Stay active, stay outside.
9. What’s one fun fact about yourself others may not know?
I can’t swim. Although, I did enjoy surfing the couple times I tried it, and didn’t die.
10. What’s one fun fact about working at Anytime Fitness others may not know?
We’re pretty competitive about racquet sports in the office. Also, December 19th is National Hug Day at the office. Lots of good things have happened on that day.