Each month Blair McHaney, the CEO of MXM, sits down with Rachel Zabonick-Chonko, the editor-in-chief of Club Solutions Magazine, for a frank discussion on the current state of the fitness industry.
BLAIR MCHANEY’S POV SHOW NOTES
Blair is thankful that his gyms are still open, MXM customers in other states are starting to thrive and that the industry is doing much better. Being thankful for his family and friends goes without saying.
TIME Magazine Article
- All operators should read the TIME Magazine article.
- The focus of the article was about mental health and exercise, not the dip in Peloton’s stock price.
- People didn’t realize how much they missed their gyms until it was gone.
- Not sure the hybrid model will be what we have talked about. It is working out in the gym and outside the gym whether that’s virtual fitness, walking, hiking, biking, etc.
- People who have been exercising have always had a hybrid model. Maybe it wasn’t using technology, but they exercise outside the gym as well.
- People are craving workout variety and socialization.
GYMS Act Update:
- GYMS Act has been adopted into an omnibus spending bill.
- There is some concern legislators will see gyms are getting back to normal and will then cut the relief.
- The bill now has 157 sponsors in the House and 28 in the Senate.
- Continue to speak up and work with your legislators and alliances.
Top of Mind Items
- Be prepared to double or triple your marketing budget in the first quarter.
- The New Year’s rush will be back in a big way.
- Member experience is top of mind for everyone.
- The industry needs to be prepared for the people who really need our help. More people are realizing the positive impact exercise has on their mental health.
- Be kinder than ever before to the new people walking through your doors.
For more insights from Blair McHaney and to learn more about MXM, the world’s leading experts on Operational Member Experience Management, visit mxmetrics.com.