You have questions, we have answers. We took some time this month to speak with George Monical, the CEO of MiGym, and an expert on mobile strategy.
“Why should clubs implement a mobile strategy?”
GM: Clubs need to implement a mobile strategy to be relevant to prospects and to provide convenience and empowerment to members. We have seen our app used by as many as 72 percent of a club’s member base — clearly members value mobile.
“What can a mobile app do to increase retention levels?”
GM: Clubs that have a mobile app are top-of-mind for their members, because they see the club’s logo every time that they look at their phone’s home screen. Inside the app, it is critical to provide a streamlined user experience, great content and great features.
“What can a mobile app do to increase revenue?”
GM: Most of our club partners ask prospects to download the app as part of the club tour because they have learned that prospects that download an app are much more likely to purchase a membership. Also, using the app for trial passes and member programs increases the number of prospects.
“What are the key functions a club should consider in an app?”
GM: We see a variety of approaches to mobile, but the clubs that seem to have the most success are those that value their members’ feedback. The end result is that members feel that their club cares about them — it is obvious in their mobile experience.
“How much does a mobile app cost?”
GM: Developing your own app is an expensive proposition because you have to build, test and maintain the app each month across multiple platforms. This adds up! If you invest in the right app it will save the club marketing and operational costs, and these savings should be considered as part of your mobile strategy.
Top 5 Mobile Necessities
1) Branded mobile app at the center of the user experience.
2) A great user interface with features that highlight the club.
3) Social integration across multiple touch points.
4) Continually market the app to prospects and members.
5) Collect and react to member feedback.
About George Monical:
• 15 years in mobile development at mobile carriers and application providers.
• Passionate fitness enthusiast: “Yoga is one of my favorite types of classes.”
• MBA from Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
Leave a Reply