Being productive at work is crucial for your success. Below are 10 reasons why you might not be as productive as you’re capable of being.
- No Daily Plan or Goals. To be an effective manager it’s important to plan out what you want to accomplish each day. As the old saying goes, “Those that fail to plan, plan to fail.”
- Lack of Priorities. Lack of time is usually just a lack of priorities. Focus on what matters.
- Attempting to Do Too Much. If you try to do everything nothing will get done.
- Perfectionism. Done is usually better than perfect. The fitness industry is constantly changing with a wide member and staff base, so there is usually no perfect answer. Simply do what is best right now.
- Personal Disorganization. Be organized. Looking for things you misplaced is a very ineffective use of time.
- Indecision. Usually more is lost by indecision than by making a wrong decision. Right or wrong, make a decision. Remember the saying, “The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn’t make a decision.”
- Crisis Management. Be pro-active, not reactive. Recognize and accept areas you can’t control. Note areas you can control and act upon them.
- Ineffective Delegation. Delegation is intended to create less work. If it creates more work, you either gave it to the wrong person or didn’t communicate properly.
- Interruptions. Try not to get distracted by fellow staff members. Don’t work on detailed projects in high member traffic areas if you can avoid it.
- Procrastination. If you have to do something, just do it. Good managers have a bias for action.
Chez Misko is the COO of Wisconsin Athletic Club.