The Bottom Line: 10 Questions with Joel Tallman
1. What was your first job in the health club industry?
My first job in the industry was in sales and lead production at Pac West Health Clubs in Lynnwood, Washington.
2. What are you most proud of concerning MÜV Fitness’ success?
The ability to build a brand that truly focuses on member results.
3. What’s your favorite part of being in the fitness industry?
Coaching positive people in such a positive industry.
4. What’s your favorite leadership book and why?
The Bible. It gives me perspective on relationships, defines what is truly valuable and helps me recognize how blessed I am.
5. What is the best piece of leadership advice you’ve ever been given?
Don’t ask anyone to do anything you wouldn’t do, then inspect what you expect.
6. If you weren’t in the position you’re in now, what job do you think you’d be doing?
I’d be a NFL head coach or general manager. I thrive on the developing of teams to achieve greatness. Winning is the pinnacle of preparation, implementation and execution.
7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome?
The biggest challenges have come from the disappointments of trusting others with different values.
8. And how did you overcome that challenge?
I am fortunate at this point in my career to be surrounded by partners who are extremely talented and driven, but are even better people.
9. If you could give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be?
Never lose the drive to be at the top. Take the trip a little slower and enjoy the scenery. Mahalia Jackson sang a gospel tune that said, “If I can help somebody as I travel along … then my living shall not be in vain.” That really resonates with me. Live life, love others.
10. What’s a fitness trend you’re keeping an eye on right now?
I’m keeping an eye on fitness concepts that build community in different ways, group training, weight-loss and anything that makes people feel part of something that creates meaningful relationships and improves health. I’m also keeping an eye on programming that can be implemented in a boutique setting, as well as the full-service club.